Margaret's Open Road
Courage & Patience (1:18)
Getting Into Derby (1:11)
Life Without A Degree (1:57)
Poor, Lazy Overachievers
Public Television: Season 7
Roller Derby Team Captain
Here, you'd better be well within your comfort zone to fall.
drop out, falling, health care, resourceful, roller derby, roller skating, skills, time
- Met her husband two years into college and ended up dropping out of school.
- Says her mother, who had her Ph.D., didn't understand her path; thought it was very "feminist" of her to drop out of school and become a mother.
- Instead, worked as an executive assistant and eventually got certified as a project manager.
- Stresses that there is a way to get through life without a college degree.
- One day, her husband pointed out an ad for a roller derby team that she could join and that would teach her about the sport.
- Says when she first started doing roller derby, she was the "scared kid holding onto the wall."
- Underscores the importance of courage and patience; says there's too much pressure to figure out what you want to do early on.
- Her belief is that you have the right to change your mind at any given time, given new information.