Malcolm's Open Road
Believe In Who You Are (0:49)
Working To Act (2:18)
Both Hard Work and Luck (0:57)
Don't let anything get in the way of your ambition.
- Believes that you can't break into acting without some serious hard work and some luck.
- Says most actors have to have a side job; his was as a bike messenger in London, which gave him free time and transportation to auditions.
- He'd been acting for four years when he got an audition for a play called "If."
- The scene called for him to kiss his co-star "passionately"; since she was a beautiful woman, he thought, "Well, there's a bit of luck."
- What he didn't realize was that the scene also called for his co-star to hit him; she basically punched his lights out, but he got the part.
- Stanley Kubrick saw him in that play and cast him as the star of A Clockwork Orange; at the age of 24, he was suddenly a movie star.
- Says that his best advice for young people is, "don't worry about it."
- Stresses that the most important things to do are to figure out who you are and to "doggedly" pursue your dreams.