Malcolm's Open Road
Home of Poi Ltd.
I was doing it for love sort of thing, and I wanted to help people juggle because it just increased your self-esteem and made you feel so good about yourself.
- Originally wanted to be an electrician-worked as a tradesman, then set up his own business.
- Says he wasn't especially successful, but it wasn't about money for him-it was about doing the job right.
- One day, he saw one of his workers juggling three stones; Malcolm was fascinated and spent months teaching himself to juggle.
- He'd practice after work when it was dark, but the balls kept dropping because it was too dark outside.
- He used his electrical skills to develop balls that would light up to facilitate juggling at night.
- Started selling his product and developing new ones; eventually opened his own business and started teaching lessons.
- For the first few years, he didn't make any money, and as he sank into debt, he started having panic attacks and bouts of depression.
- As soon as he turned a corner and paid off his debts, his whole life seemed to open up and he could focus on helping others develop a passion for poi.