Louisa Choppy's Open Road
Choosing Aviation (0:55)
Commercial Pilot Course (0:20)
Flying Helicoptors (0:25)
Stop Looking Back (0:34)
Queenstown, Otago NZ
Public Television: Season 6
LOUISA CHOPPY PATTERSON
Over The Top
accident, airline, airplanes, aviation, being a woman, career, death, flying, helicopter pilot, looking back, marine biology, mother, mourning, Pilot, proud, women
- Her father and uncle were both involved in aviation so it was always around when she was growing up.
- At university, she majored in marine biology.
- One day, her uncle signed her up for flying lessons; she ended up dropping out of that major to focus on this new passion.
- When she was 10, her father was killed in an aircraft accident, so her mother was very anxious about Louisa's change in career path.
- She was an airline pilot for some time, but found it to be boring; said the best part was walking through the terminal in her uniform.
- Pivoted and went into flying helicopters instead; founded her own helicopter tourism company called Over the Top.
- She is the only female licensed helicopter pilot in New Zealand.
- Says her mother is now proud of her aviary career, and they believe that her father is acting as her guardian angel.