Lisa's Open Road
My Own Framework (1:54)
A Whole New Chapter (1:26)
Letting Go & Experimenting (1:02)
Public Television: Season 9
Operations Director/Youth Film Coordinator
Echo Park Film Center
continually learning, death, doing what is right, empowerment, experimenting, family, filming, filmmaking, films, freedom, ideas, immigrant, insincerity, Italian, italy, relationships, routine, storytelling, teaching, trying new things
- Grew up middle-class; says she didn't have any exposure to arts or the symphony.
- One day, she was out walking when a man told her they were opening up a film center in her neighborhood.
- She'd been planning to become a lawyer, but she also painted, played in a band, and had recently started making films.
- She began volunteering at the film center, working with founder Paolo Davanzo, who would later become her husband.
- The Echo Park Film Center grew to encompass a microcinema, a mobile film school, and classes for youth, adults and seniors.
- Didn't even start making films until she was 35 years old, so she's a firm believer in continually learning, experimenting and redefining your path.
- Says the hardest classes to teach are the ones for adults-while children will try anything, adults are too concerned with "what's right."
- Believes in the importance of just "messing around," and experimenting without worrying about the quality of your performance.