Lisa's Open Road
There are no excerpts for this Leader.
Crook County, WY
Public Television: Season 2
Devil's Tower National Monument
making a difference, outdoors, permanent job, rejection, tour guide, Yellowstone National Park
- In high school, her friends' siblings were working and backpacking in Yellowstone National Park.
- She loved the outdoors, and she developed an interest specifically in the West and in the National Parks Service.
- Spent a number of years working as a seasonal ranger, but when she turned thirty, she felt the pressure to get a "permanent" job.
- Applied to countless permanent positions; joked that she could've papered her walls with the rejection letters.
- Was living out of her car; finally thought, "if I don't get accepted to the next job I apply to, I need to find something else to to do."
- Luckily, she found a permanent position with the NPS, an agency that she says she really believes in.
- Feels lucky that she found what "makes her tick," but says she'd be the first to admit that her job is not easy.
- Says she still doesn't know what she wants to be when she "grows up," but she's perfectly happy with her current career.