Laurie's Open Road
Invent It (0:23)
How Do You Know (0:32)
Find Your Bliss (0:16)
The Original Roadtrip
Los Angeles, CA
Chief Marketing Officer
agency, art director, bliss, dabble, directed, embracing the world, explore, intelligence, invent, slow down, trust your gut, veterinarian
- Says "there's no one right answer" to what you should do with your life, but you don't realize that until much further down the line.
- Believes people that spend their time intensely driving towards one career tend to miss out on life; she wishes people had told her to "slow down."
- When she was a kid, she wanted to be a veterinarian, so she started on a fast track towards that career.
- After getting into veterinary school, she realized it wasn't her passion; didn't want to take someone else's place, so she dropped out.
- Realized she'd been assuming that because she was good at veterinary science, that should be her passion.
- Took a break then got into the hotel industry; started meeting people from TBWA/Chiat/Day and got interested in their work.
- When a secretarial position opened up at the company, she took it; that job didn't take up much of her day, so she helped with pitches on the side.
- Created her own position within the agency-says "if it doesn't exist, invent it; don't wait for the world to dish it up."