Larry's Open Road
Sucked It Up (0:18)
Making Connections (1:44)
Doing What You Want To Do (1:42)
Find A Way To Do It (0:33)
Focusing On Your Ideas (0:36)
Natural Ambition (0:56)
Los Angeles, CA
Public Television: Season 1
A&M records, alternate route, band management, booking bands, college, concert committee, concerts, debt, Korn, loans, management, managing bands, marketing, playing an instrument, radio, radio station, Social Distortion, The Offspring, try it, work for free
- Says he always knew he wanted to be in the music business, going way back to when he was a kid and his dad would listen to Elvis.
- In high school, he realized that playing instruments wasn't clicking, so he started managing bands.
- Went to the University of California, San Diego; didn't love school, but became heavily involved in the radio station and concert committee.
- Built up a great rapport with record companies, bands; had four job offers by the time he graduated.
- Went to work in the artist development department of A&M Records; worked to market alternative artists.
- Learned a lot at A&M, but didn't always love working for a corporation, so he started quietly managing his own bands on the side.
- One of his bands, The Offspring, became wildly successful; around the same time, A&M folded, so he made the leap; started his own company.
- Says if you have a vision of doing something, do it; get in at the ground level, volunteer to work for free, and do what's needed to break into a field you love.