Lance's Open Road
There are no excerpts for this Leader.
Here, There and Everywhere
Filmmaker/Music Video Director
40-watt, arcade fire, Athens, bands, Barrie Buck, commercials, documentary, film, film maker, Georgia, lance bangs, music video, music videos, pop culture, REM, right place right time, television, travel
- Didn't come up through "traditional channels"-never went to film school.
- Traveled around a lot when he was younger and started documenting travel stories on a tape recorder and a Super8mm camera.
- Michael Stipe from REM invited him to come down to Athens, Georgia, the music and art hub where the band was based.
- While there, Lance took art classes at the local university, showed his films at a small theater.
- Bands who came through Athens to play shows started seeing his films, inviting him to create material for their shows.
- Says he never planned on going into music videos, but he took opportunities to work with these new bands, collaborators.
- He's now one of the most sought-after directors in the business, has made videos for Kanye West, Arcade Fire, and the Black Keys, among others.
- Says the key to success is positioning yourself in the right place at the right time, even if that means leaving your hometown or quitting a bad job.