Kyle's Open Road
Working With Vets (1:42)
No Excuses (0:50)
Fighting In MMA (0:48)
Support For Others (0:34)
Opening the Gym (0:39)
Job Dependancy (1:29)
How I Started Wrestling (0:29)
Poor, Lazy Overachievers
Public Television: Season 7
amputee, barriers, congenital amputation, cross fit, disability, ESPY award, fighting, fitness, growth, helping others, Hurdles, Kyle Maynard, MMA, no excuses, opening doors, stagnant, Suwanee Georgia, the system, war veterans, wrestling
- Says he's in the same boat as the road-trippers-he's 23 and still trying to find his road.
- When he was wrestling in middle school and high school, he kept getting his "butt kicked."
- His dad told him that he hadn't won a single first-year match either, convinced him to keep at it; later found out his dad had just lied to motivate him.
- Says his parents always taught him that he should find a way to persevere and keep at the things that mattered most.
- His biggest problem with the education system is that "it prepares you to be an employee," rather than nurturing unique dreams and interests.
- Says that there are ways around working for someone, encourages young people to build their own businesses around the things they love.
- Opened No Excuses Crossfit Gym, an athletic facility with a focus on building a community of athletes.
- Says if he could go back and change the way he was born, he wouldn't-his disability has actually enabled him to make a huge impact.