Kristina's Open Road
Keep Pushing (0:44)
Favorite Part of the Job (0:45)
Where You Want To Go (1:40)
Laidler's Path (1:09)
Love Being Different (1:45)
Microsoft Cyber Defense Operations Center
challenges, collaboration, computers, doubt, evolving, follow your dreams, helping, helping others, learning, long term, making a difference, misconception, motivation, perseverance, perspective, protect, resilient, security
- Has a calling to protect people; helping to secure data and services in the Microsoft cloud helps her do that on a large scale.
- On some level, she’s always been a security and privacy advocate—whether it was defending friends from bullies or standing up for the vulnerable.
- In college at Washington State University, she wasn’t sure what she wanted to do, but knew she needed to make a living.
- She says to think three to five years ahead—she started out in law enforcement, then planned and made the switch to cybersecurity.
- When she started, everyone was self-taught and she was excited by the idea that you learned by doing the job.
- She started out in computer analysis response and recovering evidence, and that opened a new door for her.
- The biggest obstacles she faced came from within herself, wondering and worrying whether she knew enough.
- Says you should feel like you’re getting as much from your job as you’re giving—when that happens, you know you’ve hit the right balance.