Kristin's Open Road
Emeril Lagasse Foundation
At every level, you have to take a little bit of risk. Just because you don’t have a huge amount of experience doesn’t mean you can’t learn along the way.
- She grew up on a farm in rural Virginia with the dream of moving to New York City and becoming a singer.
- Touts the power of arts and humanities degrees: says her English and theater degree helps her write, communicate, and lead meetings effectively.
- Moved to New York after college to pursue her dreams, but found it was extremely competitive with no camaraderie; decided to enter the corporate world.
- Went to a temp agency which helped her find her way into the world of television; worked as a segment producer for Oxygen.
- Craving a change, she and her boyfriend decided to put all of their stuff into storage and drive across the country for three months; ended up in New Orleans.
- She knew she wanted to get into nonprofit work, so she took a job at the Louisiana Children’s Museum doing fundraising.
- When she interviewed for the Emeril Lagasse Foundation, she didn’t know much about Emeril, so she wasn’t intimidated when he conducted her interview himself.
- Her combination of television experience and nonprofit work align perfectly at the foundation, which helps disadvantaged children realize their full potential.