Kitty's Open Road
Castles Made of Sand (0:48)
Let Your Wine Age (1:11)
The Challenge of Desire (0:56)
Kindergarten Mentality (1:03)
Saved By Pop Culture (0:58)
When Rubber Hits The Road (0:56)
Public Television: Season 7
Art Activist/Executive Director
Arts 2 People
art car, community work, creating, creativity, freedom, generation, giving back, government, inner litmus, judgement, litmus, painting, punk rock, purpose, resources, service, tattoos, travel, visions, working with others
- After graduating from art school, she realized she had absolutely no interest in commercial art.
- Met a fellow artist in a bar; he convinced her that they should buy tattoo equipment and start tattooing.
- Traveled around the country in a bus; they'd throw their portfolio down in a bar and
- Says she never made a fortune tattooing, but she made a living, and more importantly, she's been her own boss for 19 years.
- At one point, she heard a local task force was trying to rid her city of graffiti; she marched over to their meeting, ready to put up a fight.
- Rather than shutting her down, the task force invited her to share her idea for a legal graffiti wall; she realized open communication was more effective.
- Her idea grew into a 5,000-square-foot communal mural that celebrates the history of Asheville, North Carolina.
- Believes in a "put the oxygen mask on yourself before helping your child" method; you can only devote yourself to helping others once your passion's fulfilled.