Kitty's Open Road
Art Activist/Executive Director
Arts 2 People
There will come a point when your interest in working with other people is so compelling there won't be a choice; you'll just be doing it.
- After graduating from art school, she realized she had absolutely no interest in commercial art.
- Met a fellow artist in a bar; he convinced her that they should buy tattoo equipment and start tattooing.
- Traveled around the country in a bus; they'd throw their portfolio down in a bar and just start tattooing people.
- Says she never made a fortune tattooing, but she made a living, and more importantly, she's been her own boss for 19 years.
- At one point, she heard a local task force was trying to rid her city of graffiti; she marched over to their meeting, ready to put up a fight.
- Rather than shutting her down, the task force invited her to share her idea for a legal graffiti wall; she realized open communication was more effective.
- Her idea grew into a 5,000-square-foot communal mural that celebrates the history of Asheville, North Carolina.
- Believes in a "put the oxygen mask on yourself before helping your child" method; you can only devote yourself to helping others once your passion's fulfilled.