Khary's Open Road
The Greatest Force (0:31)
Developing an Education (2:04)
Managing Your Passions (0:35)
An Activist Upbringing (0:54)
The Brotherhood/Sister Sol
The greatest force that people bring to having successful lives that excite them-that make them happy, that make them able to contribute to society-is to find out what they really love to do.
- Grew up in a neighborhood of New York City that trafficked ninety percent of the city's cocaine intake.
- Inspired him to work to break the cycles of poverty around him by giving young people the opportunity to get an education, follow their dreams.
- Started by working with young men at a community center; many were involved with gangs and drug dealing.
- Within a year, he was able to get almost all of them back in school and on the right path.
- Realized that involvement and mentorship actually could turn lives around.
- Viewed the situation in Harlem as "urgent," so he "just started doing the work," eventually built a nonprofit and got it off the ground.
- Says that too many youths in America are still limited by their zip code or the color of their skin, so his goal is to provide them with equal opportunities.
- Believes the best way for people to contribute to society is by finding something that they really love to do.