Kevin's Open Road
I Worked Weird Hours (1:17)
Finding the Balance (0:58)
Didn't Think I Had a Chance to Get the Job (0:59)
Wasting Time (1:12)
Don't Limit Yourself (0:51)
My Boss Never Thought It Would Be a Career Path (0:39)
Having fun your whole life is a pretty powerful motivator.
- He grew up over an hour away from the beach, but all he wanted to do when he grew up was live at the beach.
- As he went to school at Claremont McKenna University, he decided he wanted to be a lifeguard.
- As he got more into lifeguarding, surf forecasting kept tugging at him; he always wanted to know more about it.
- Got his degree in psychology, which he doesn’t use directly, but he says the writing and communication skills still help him.
- Says that truthfully, many nights he should’ve spent studying, he was up late looking at wave science and forecasts.
- When he started at Surfline, he made next to no money; says if you love something, you should be willing to work for cheap.
- He worked weekends, holidays, crazy hours, but he stuck with it because he loved it—and he could still surf in his free time.
- Seventeen years later, he says if he could tell his teenage self what his future job would be, young him would be “stoked!”