Ken's Open Road
Public Television: Season 3
You can do anything that you truly love to do, no matter how difficult.
climbing, El Capitan, happiness, living in a cave, rock climbing, start at the beginning, Yosemite
- As a kid, he was always climbing trees and tables.
- He'd go camping in Yosemite so he could climb El Capitan, but the forest rangers would kick him out during off-season.
- He wanted to keep climbing, so at age 17, he moved into a cave nearby.
- Said living in the cave was actually one of the best periods of his life: he had no chores, no rent to pay, nothing to do but climb.
- He made his money from sorting through trash to find cans.
- Says at the bottom of the face, you have a lot of doubts, but if you focus on the doubt, "you cut your own throat."
- On the way up the climb, there are days where you don't feel like moving, but once you reach the summit, it's the best feeling in the world.
- Says everything in life is like climbing: you start at the bottom, and you systematically work your way through it.