Keith's Open Road
Follow Your Dreams (0:37)
I do believe you've got to follow your dreams. If I hadn't done that, I'd probably be a real miserable person.
- Grew up in a musical family, so he always associated music with leisure; assumed he couldn't make a career out of it.
- Throughout most of his schooling, he thought he had his path figured out.
- Got his bachelor's degree in religion, then went to do a master's degree in divinity, planned to do a doctorate in philosophy of religion.
- When he entered his master's program, a counselor sat him down and asked about his career goals.
- Keith told him he planned to graduate, then teach philosophy, but admitted that he wasn't feeling totally passionate about it.
- Counselor told him the job market for philosophers wasn't great, so if he had any other passions, he should drop out and follow them.
- Says that's the best advice he ever got; started getting his "dropped class" slips the very next day.
- Admits that "follow your dreams" is hard advice to give, but really believes that you should take some chances while you're young.