Keith's Open Road
Chief Science Officer
Natural Energy Laboratory of Hawaii Authority (NELHA)
Things are going to happen...but how you react to what’s happening is what’s most important.
- Grew up on Long Island, New York; says at the time, the possibility of someday living in Hawaii didn’t even cross his mind.
- He knew he wanted to go to the State University of New York’s College of Environmental Science and Forestry.
- But first, he went to Suffolk County Community College to save money; says community college taught him tons of life skills.
- When he got to the College of Environmental Science and Forestry, he entered the paper science and engineering program.
- After graduating, he moved to California and worked at a paper mill for several months, but decided it wasn’t for him.
- He had many of the skill sets of a chemical engineer, so he ended up working for Chevron and the Berkeley Lab.
- He and his wife decided to move to Hawaii; he couldn’t find a job so he became a forest ranger and built up his soft skills.
- Now works at NELHA, an 870-acre ocean and science technology park; he also teaches yoga on the side!