Katrina's Open Road
Katrina Markoff Highlight (1:50)
Public Television: Season 4
It takes time to come around to the thing that makes sense to you.
chemistry, chocolate, cooking, India, Nagaland tribe, psychology, spices, time, travel
- Was a chemistry and psychology major, but got to her senior year and had no idea what to do with those degrees.
- Didn't want to be a doctor, didn't want to do research-realized that she only really loved cooking and horses.
- Moved to Paris three days after she graduated from college.
- She was accepted to Paris' Le Cordon Bleu, one of the most prestigious culinary schools in the world.
- Felt like she hit a wall at Le Cordon Bleu-their traditional French style left little room for her to be creative.
- One night, she was experimenting with chocolate and became inspired by an Indian necklace she was wearing.
- She came up with 22 recipes, each inspired by a different place, highlighting the cultural aspect of food.
- Out of those original recipes, the idea for her chocolate business was born; says Vosges is really the culmination of all her experiences.