Kate's Open Road
Put One Foot In Front Of The Other (3:08)
Have A Rough Idea (0:34)
You Gotta Plunge In (0:48)
San Jose Team
New York, NY
Public Television: Season 4
big break, change, circus, clown, clowns, confusion, do something, grunt work, leaving, rewards, rough idea, strengths, volunteering, weakness
- Knew she wanted to write since she was a kid, but still had doubts about which career path to follow.
- At one point, she even looked into being a flight attendant.
- Says that at some point, you have to take a plunge; after college, she moved from her small town to New York City.
- Got an editorial assistant position at Glamour, but wasn't really getting the opportunity to write or contribute.
- In order to show how passionate she was about writing, she put together a portfolio of articles and pitched to her boss.
- A month later, they called her back and offered her a feature story-the catch was, she'd have to train and perform as a circus clown.
- She knew she couldn't turn this opportunity down; said, if I'm going to prove my worth, I might as well throw myself into this absurd story.
- Because she showed such dedication, and because her story turned out so well, the magazine created a position just for her.