Julie's Open Road
There are no excerpts for this Leader.
New York, NY
Public Television: Season 3
Different Roads To Learning
autism, belonging, children, computer skills, design, fashion, helping others, independence, tools
- As she was growing up, her road was always leading to becoming a clothing designer.
- Over time she became more political, and started to see the fashion business as shallow.
- She adopted a daughter that had certain "delays" in her learning and development.
- When her daughter was six, she was diagnosed with autism.
- Says one of the greatest griefs of having a child with autism is the fact that people are constantly judging your parenting skills.
- Once she started working with speech and language therapists, she realized that learning tools for autistic children were not easily attainable.
- Decided to take business and computer classes so that she could start her own business to fill that void.
- Says one of the greatest things about her business is that it built a community for parents of autistic children, who often find it hard to talk about their struggles.