Julia's Open Road
Unaware Of the 'box' (1:35)
The Space Between Something & Nothing (0:46)
Pursue Intellectual Stimulation (0:59)
New York, NY
Public Television: Season 9
Chief Social Officer
academics, college, culture, electricity, energy, engineering, enterprise, Faraday principle, good enough, Harvard, ideas, innovation, inventing, school, soccer, social, technical, travel
- Was studying social anthropology at Harvard University.
- Met her co-founder Jessica Matthews in an undergrad art/engineering class.
- They collaborated on a group project that became Uncharted Play.
- They created a soccer ball that harnesses kinetic energy and converts it into power.
- Can power lights for children in third-world countries who don't have access to electricity, hoping to expand to small refrigerators for safer food storage.
- Harvard gave them a small grant to continue their work, build models, test them in South Africa.
- Both women were accepted to Harvard Business School but have deferred to keep working on this project.
- Advises students to pick intellectual pursuits based on what interests them, not based on what their parents or society thinks they should study.