Julia's Open Road
My Idea of Success (0:55)
What is that Girl (1:00)
It's OK to Ask for Help (0:53)
Anxiety in Getting Healthy (0:43)
Feel Comfortable in Your Body (1:06)
Getting Off of Food (0:33)
New York, NY
beauty, bike riding, body image, confidence, death, eating disorder, exercise, fitness, health, life, make-up, manhattan, nutrition, obesity, overweight, passion, process, self esteem, weight, women
- Founded two businesses: Brush Beauty, a boutique beauty company, and FitJourney, an online community/app that helps people get in shape.
- FitJourney is targeted towards overweight and obese people, and it helps them get healthy within a supportive space.
- Says that although she's not qualified as a personal trainer, she's been on teams her whole life, feels passionate about helping people get fit.
- When she realized she wanted to turn her hobby of doing makeup into her living, she took a three-month-long immersive class to hone her skills.
- When she was 24, her mom passed away; that changed her perspective on life, "big" things suddenly seemed small.
- What became most important were the things that made her feel good, and the things that allowed her to help others.
- Gained 80 pounds when her mother got sick, then slowly got back into fitness through spinning and lifting; uses that experience to relate to FitJourney users.
- Chalks up the success of FitJourney to the fact that she's "absurdly open" about her own experiences, never hides her weight or her struggles.