Judith's Open Road
Don't Worry (0:59)
Looking For Paths (2:49)
Values and Doing What You Want (0:53)
Finding Dream Job (1:40)
Library Acquisitions Chief
US/Anglo Division, Library of Congress
Judith Mansfield, librarian, library, library and information science, LIbrary of Congress, library science, There Is No Road Map, travel
- In between her junior and senior year of college, she moved to Denmark to work as a chambermaid in a hostel.
- The experience was so transformative that she stayed much longer than planned, traveled around Europe.
- She put off school to take a job in the Canary Islands, then finally returned to college late to finish her final year.
- She'd been studying typing, but realized it wasn't going to work out, so she went to graduate school so she could train for something different.
- As a young girl, she'd been told she could one of three things: a teacher, a nurse, or a secretary.
- She'd worked in a library for two years in junior high school and enjoyed it; decided she'd be a librarian.
- Knew she'd have to get graduate training, but her mother thought it was a waste of money, said she should just get married instead.
- With the help of her grandmother, Judith talked her mom into lending her the money for grad school.