John's Open Road
Public Television: Season 2
KEXP, Seattle, WA
advice, communication, disc jockey, DJ, enthusiastic, frustration, ideas, intern, internship, obsessive, sacrifice, talk to people, work for free
- Grew up in Spokane, Washington; it was a popular stop for touring bands, so he grew up obsessed with music.
- He and his friends would share tapes and talk about new bands they discovered-says music became his life.
- Moved to Seattle to attend the University of Washington.
- Originally entered the communications major because he wasn't sure what he wanted to do, but started to realize he wanted to go into radio.
- One day, he walked over to the campus radio station and said, "What can I do for you guys? I'll work for free."
- Says that because he was willing to put in the hours, do anything for the station, they developed a beneficial relationship.
- Believes that everyone should find something for which they're willing to sacrifice their pay, sacrifice their free time-that's your passion.
- Wishes he'd sought out more advice when he was young and recommends that everyone open a dialogue with mentors in their field.