John's Open Road
Advice for First Gen (0:51)
Love for Music (0:48)
Skipping a Grade (0:52)
Why Not Us
New York, NY
Public Television: Why Not Us
advice, asking questions, barriers, bounce-back, challenge, creating, failures, follow what you love, goals, learning from mistakes, management consultant, mistakes, music, obstacles, optimism, passion, performing, piano, planning, success
- Grew up playing music on his family's rickety piano and in his church in Springfield, Ohio.
- Fell in love with music at a young age; loved performing and getting to create something new.
- The first in his family to go to college, he attended the University of Pennsylvania.
- Being first to go to college, his parents' divorce and his mother's drug problem were all obstacles.
- Worked as a management consultant after school, but spent his nights performing and recording.
- Says that what defines successful people is not that they don't fail, but how they bounce back.