Joel's Open Road
Kids Are Awesome (0:31)
What Life is All About (0:20)
How I Became a Teacher (0:51)
It's Going to Be Okay (1:25)
Work Life / Personal Life (0:38)
Los Angeles, CA
Thomas Starr King Middle School
bad day, career, classes, driven, education, email, empathy, fun, happy, having fun, inspiration, inspired, kids, living your own life, motivation, teacher, teachers, teaching, tutoring, work
- While he was studying at UCLA, his friend asked him if he'd help him tutor some Spanish-speaking kids.
- He fell in love with tutoring; realized that if he was willing do it on the weekends for free, he could definitely pursue teaching as a career.
- Makes a point of not bringing out an "alter-ego" when he's in the classroom; says, "Who I am as a teacher is who I am in life."
- When he first started, other teachers thought he was just the "fun" teacher who wasn't actually educating his kids.
- Once his students' test scores turned out to be consistently better than the other students', those other teachers started realizing they should lighten up.
- He was the first of his family to go to college, so his mother didn't always know how to support him through that experience.
- That helps him relate to his students, many of whom are from low-income families, would also be first-generation college students.
- Says he loves his job so much that he comes to work with a smile on his face every single day.