Joe's Open Road
Founder / Creative Director
Your career is like a marriage—you want to chose something or someone that you’re going to be happy to be with for many years.
- While other kids wanted to be rock stars or professional athletes, Joe always wanted to make computer games.
- When he was 10 or 11, he was identified as dyslexic; he was talented in physics and math, but he struggled to read and write.
- Around that time, home computers came out and PC games were becoming popular; he was transfixed.
- His family was very supportive of his passion; they knew school wasn’t a great environment for him, so they’d let him stay home to work on his games and learn how to code.
- At 15 years old, he dropped out of school and joined a company to help them develop a game; he was completely self-taught.
- He published his first game when he was 16; it sold 10,000 units.
- Since then, he’s worked on iconic games such as FIFA 07, FIFA 08, Rollercoaster Tycoon, and Need for Speed: Nitro.
- Later, in his twenties, he began to regret the fact that he’d never really learned to read books, so he took the time to re-teach himself at the local library.