Jin-Ya's Open Road
Your Family Is Your Support (1:11)
Language in Art (0:49)
Be Flexible and Evolve (0:26)
Do What You Love (1:16)
Define Success (1:16)
Fossil Group, Inc.
art, dedication, education, enthusiasm, family, flexibility, fortunate, giving back, goal, gratitude, humility, language barrier, learning, opportunity, passion, possibilities, school, struggles, support system, transition
- She grew up in Taiwan and immigrated to Tulsa, Oklahoma when she was in middle school.
- When she arrived in America, she had trouble in school because she was struggling to learn the English language.
- Her parents were facing the same struggle, but when they opened a restaurant, they found that they could use food as a language through which to express themselves.
- She realized her own expressive language was art, and although she didn’t know what she wanted to do with her life, she knew that she wanted to pursue a career in art.
- Now spends her days art directing the packaging at Fossil, but also works as a freelance multimedia artist on the side.
- She says that there’s an interesting benefit to working both jobs—she gets to be balanced in between the spheres of art and commerce, and see how the two areas interact.
- To her, success means making a difference, which is why in her spare time, she tries to contribute to social justice projects in her community.
- Says that it’s okay to spend some time feeling undecided because when you’re married to an idea too early in your life, you lose the ability to be flexible.