Jim's Open Road
Follow Your Passion (0:40)
Pay My Dues (1:03)
Philosophy and Medical Degree (1:13)
Trying Different Things (0:43)
Other: Montreal Team
JIM YONG KIM
Partners in Health
college, different, doctor, full time job, health care, immigrant, medical school, opportunity, parents, passion, paying your dues, perceived risk, philosophy, political, safety, skill, social justice, training
- Told his father that he wanted to study philosophy at college.
- His father replied, "you can do anything you want...after you finish your medical residency."
- Echoes his parents' advice: "Find a skill that no one can take away from you."
- Found a medical degree that would allow him to study anthropology, considered that a good compromise.
- Didn't take the route he'd necessarily visualized, but ended up working in the field of political justice, which is what he always dreamed of.
- Partners in Health provides modern healthcare to those who need it most, which has always been Kim's life dream.
- Says it took him trying a lot of different things-volleyball, anthropology, pharmacology-to find the one thing he was passionate about.
- Thinks everyone has a window of time where they can "really go after their dreams"; stresses that you have to be sure not to miss that opportunity.