Jim's Open Road
There are no excerpts for this Leader.
10K Miles From Home
Port Townsend, WA
Indie: Team 10k Miles from Home (US)
comfort zone, draft, Korean war, mountain climbing, mountaineering, mt. everest
- Did his first climb as a kid when he was in Boy Scouts.
- Got to the top of his first mountain; found that he wasn't completely intimidated, found it exciting.
- Says he's been "pulled" down different paths-was a guide on Mt. Rainier, was drafted into the Korean War, ran an REI store.
- No matter which field he was entering, he says he worked hard to be the best at the job.
- Became the first American to make it to the summit of Mt. Everest in 1963.
- Prepared for Everest climb for two years; before the trip, his team was asked if they thought they'd summit-he was the only one to confidently reply, "yes."
- He worked at REI for 25 years; one day, in the middle of his paperwork, he realized he'd spent half his life there.
- He'd climbed the ranks to president, but decided it was time for him to "get some fresh air"; retired at age 50.