Jim's Open Road
Injustice in Our Society (0:16)
Rewarding Individual Teaching (0:36)
Do What You Love (0:37)
Through Lens of Education (0:25)
San Francisco, CA
Common Sense Media
balance, challenges, change, changing, doing what you love, education, happiness, inequality, injustice, law degree, law school, New York, nonprofit, rewards, social change, society, success, teacher, teaching, work
- Even though he's also involved in public policy and media, he still considers teaching to be his career.
- Grew up in New York City; his mother was a schoolteacher in Harlem and the South Bronx.
- He graduated early from high school and spent a year teaching with his mother.
- Says he didn't grow up wealthy, but once he spent that year teaching, he realized how privileged he'd been education-wise.
- Went to a law school because he says law gives you the ability to affect change; knew he wanted to be a civil rights lawyer.
- Says that being able to write policy and law to make changes on a mass scale still doesn't fulfill him as much as teaching a student one-on-one.
- Believes that the country's number one priority should be improving the lives of children through education.
- Started Common Sense Media to help teachers use media and technology to create more engaging classrooms.