Jim's Open Road
Obsessed With Music (0:59)
Interviewing A Hero (0:31)
Just Start Doing It (0:10)
If you're just gonna live by the rules of 'what you should do,' or let somebody tell you what you can't do, then there's not much point in living.
- Was always a "voracious" music fan, always had strong opinions about what he played and listened to.
- Kept bothering one of his teachers about how he could become a rock critic; teacher said, "I don't know; go interview someone who does it."
- He reached out to Lester Bangs, one of the world's most famous rock critics and his personal hero.
- Lester Bangs encouraged him to follow his dreams and try his best to become a rock critic.
- His first five years as a reporter, he was stuck writing about mundane things, but getting paid to write was "enough of a thrill."
- Relentlessly kept writing about music because he loved it; would print out write-ups and hand them out for free.
- Encourages young people to "just start writing," use your friends, family as your first audience.
- Still plays drums on the side for fun because he loves music so much.