Jill's Open Road
What Satisfies You (0:56)
Forget About What Sells (1:19)
Getting Into The Industry (0:35)
Word of Advice (0:49)
Oh, I'm A Writer (0:58)
What Motivates Your Writing (1:33)
Los Angeles, CA
Public Television: Season 1
HBO's Six Feet Under
actors, advertising, business, change, comedy, Courtney Cox, creativity, film, honest, Los Angeles, love, play, production, short story, success, television, The Brady Bunch, theater, writer, writing
- When she went to college at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, she thought she wanted to go into advertising.
- Realized later that she wanted to go into television or movies; worked as a production assistant.
- She and her sister were obsessed with The Brady Bunch; she says for a time, that show was the only thing that interested her.
- The two decided to gather up their actor friends and reenact a ridiculous Brady Bunch episode. They didn't produce the play to make money, they just thought it would be funny, entertaining to them.
- The play gained a huge cult following; taught her to "forget about what sells and just do what makes you happy."
- A similar production about Courteney Cox (written solely because it was funny to her) landed Jill a job on Six Feet Under.
- Says you have to be honest about/go after what makes you happy, "even if it's something stupid."