Jill's Open Road
Los Angeles, CA
Public Television: Season 1
HBO's Six Feet Under
You have to be passionate about something where you wake up in the middle of the night to think about what characters should be doing.
advertising, Courtney Cox, play, production, short story, The Brady Bunch, theater
- When she went to college at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, she thought she wanted to go into advertising.
- Realized later that she wanted to go into television or movies; worked as a production assistant.
- She and her sister were obsessed with The Brady Bunch; she says for a time, that show was the only thing that interested her.
- The two decided to gather up their actor friends and reenact a ridiculous Brady Bunch episode. They didn't produce the play to make money, they just thought it would be funny, entertaining to them.
- The play gained a huge cult following; taught her to "forget about what sells and just do what makes you happy."
- A similar production about Courteney Cox (written solely because it was funny to her) landed Jill a job on Six Feet Under.
- Says you have to be honest about/go after what makes you happy, "even if it's something stupid."