Jessica's Open Road
None Of Us Had Engineering Background (0:26)
Our End User (0:52)
Unaware Of the 'box' (1:35)
The Space Between Something & Nothing (0:46)
Keep Childhood Dreams (0:43)
New York, NY
Public Television: Season 9
Chief Executive Officer
ball, childish, creativity, design, electricity, energy, engineering, enterprise, Faraday principle, good enough, Harvard, helping others, ideas, innovation, inventing, inventor, soccer, social, technical
- She didn’t have an engineering background, but knew she wanted to create something that would address some sort of need.
- Met her co-founder Julia Silverman in an undergrad art/science class at Harvard.
- They collaborated on a group project that became Uncharted Play.
- They created a soccer ball that harnesses kinetic energy and converts it into power.
- Can power lights for children in third-world countries who don’t have access to electricity, hoping to expand to small refrigerators for safer food storage.
- Harvard gave them a small grant to continue their work, build models, test them in South Africa.
- Both women were accepted to Harvard Business School but have deferred to keep working on this project.
- Believes Uncharted Play shows that if everyone put their different talents into social enterprises, the world would be a better place.