Jesse's Open Road
When you become that person who’s going up against the odds, a lot of people are going to be looking up to you. You can’t let them down.
- Growing up in Texas, he loved motorsports and cars, but as a first-generation Nigerian immigrant, racing was not a part of his family’s culture.
- He originally pursued football instead; he was good enough to earn a scholarship to play at the Naval Academy.
- However, from the moment he drove in his first drag race, he knew that was what he wanted to do with the rest of his life.
- After graduating from the Naval Academy, he used the money he’d saved from his two deployments to build a streetcar and race it at drag strips.
- He broke a few records with that car, which earned him some publicity and opened up the opportunity for him to drive stock cars.
- His aspiration is to become the first African-American male veteran to compete in top-level professional NASCAR races.
- He’s currently racing in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series, and is a candidate for the Sunoco Rookie of the Year award.
- Believes that every person has a vision of their best self, and it’s our duty to live that vision out, even in the face of negativity or discouragement from others.