Jennifer's Open Road
Periodization of Stress (1:28)
Luxury of Introspection (0:39)
Your Soul At Work (1:23)
Where You Want To Be In The End (0:35)
One Juncture At A Time (0:23)
New Belgium Brewery
Times of stress [are] necessary for growth, but you also need that time of recovery and ease, because that's when you integrate your gains.
- Was going to graduate school, studying philosophy; took a part-time job at the brewery on the side.
- Started on the bottling line, then did some office work for the company's CEO.
- She slowly moved up in the ranks; says this wasn't a "big career vision," but people needed help and she'd help out.
- Eventually realized it'd be in her best interest to get her MBA; did a night program while working full-time.
- Sometimes wishes she could be something simple and satisfying, like a receptionist.
- But acknowledges that you need stress to encourage growth, need to take on challenges sometimes.
- Says your job should be fulfilling, but sometimes that's a luxury-sometimes you have to take jobs you don't love to make a living.
- Constantly redefines her role to make sure she's doing something she believes in-went from chief operations officer to sustainability director.