Jennifer's Open Road
Have a Plan (0:47)
Skill-Building Years (0:45)
Taking a Chance (1:02)
What You Would Do For Free (0:46)
Funding Nonprofits (1:16)
Social Work (1:03)
New York, NY
Executive Program Director
business, chance, choice, college, death, drop out, effort, failure, goals, happiness, money, nonprofit, opportunity, passion, plans, prepare, pressure, research, trying, work hard
- During her first semester of college, her father died unexpectedly.
- Before that, her childhood had been relatively free of conflict; after her father's death, she says "everything seemed bad."
- She returned to school and told her professors that she couldn't study for her midterms.
- Her professors told her, "No, you're not going to get a free pass; you're going to take these tests tomorrow."
- Those professors taught her that in life, you have to keep moving, because no one is going to stop and wait up for you.
- She went on to get her master's degree in business; always planned to work at a for-profit company.
- However, she heard about a YouthBuild program starting in her city and decided to join; from her very first day on the job, she "felt like she was home."
- Encourages young adults to set realistic goals, find mentors who can advise them on how to achieve those goals, and then relentlessly follow their advice.