Jennifer's Open Road
Jennifer Appel Highlight (1:29)
There are no excerpts for this Leader.
New York, NY
Indie: Indie Roadtrips
Buttercup Bake Shop
It's scary sometimes to make those leaps of faith-I was terrified. But I did it. I just said, 'You know, it couldn't be any worse than how I feel now.' How far could I fall?
baking, positivity, psychology major
- Studied psychology all the way through school-went from undergrad to master's to Ph.D straight to practicing psychologist.
- Said even as she was editing her dissertation, she was just "flinging around statistics" that weren't grabbing her.
- Started watching the cooking shows on the Discovery Channel; said baking seemed "lighter and so much more satisfying."
- Has faced "tremendous challenges" but always took leaps of faith.
- Believes in listening to the customer; her bakery, Magnolia Bakery, originally didn't even sell cakes until customers started requesting them.
- She started making cupcakes with the leftover cake batter; now largely credited with starting the "cupcake craze."
- Her current bakery, Buttercup Bake Shop, has been visited by Hillary Clinton and Al Roker, sells 3,000-4,000 cupcakes each day.
- Says the most important thing is to "listen to the little person inside," rather than doing something that isn't making you happy.