Jehmu's Open Road
I Have To Be Active (1:08)
Make A Difference (0:30)
Rock The Vote (0:37)
Los Angeles, CA
Public Television: Season 1
Rock The Vote
country music, helping people, impact, protesting, protests, public service, senator, social movements, the system, volunteer, voting
- When she was five, she wanted to be the first black senator from Texas.
- Always had an interest in politics, always had an interest in music; grew up in Austin, Texas, the "live music capital of the world."
- After college, she worked on political campaigns and started volunteering with Rock the Vote.
- Says Rock the Vote covered all of her interests; she actually registered to vote with Rock the Vote as a teen.
- Thinks that public service is the most direct way to affect positive change, which has always been her calling.
- Always said if she'd been old enough during the Civil Rights era, she'd have been out protesting; now she has to prove she's "really about it."
- Says that Rock the Vote appeals to so many people because music brings people together.
- Believes that aspects of "the system" are broken, but they can only be fixed through more participation, more voting.