Jeff's Open Road
Success Isn't Logical (1:02)
Free Yourself (2:08)
I Wasn't Living His Life (4:12)
The Tools (2:08)
My Calling (1:15)
Remote Control Life (3:09)
Social & Political Activist/TV Personality
So often, we confine ourselves to this little box of 'doctor,' 'lawyer,' 'engineer,' 'teacher,' 'businessperson'...free yourselves.
- Says the people who become successful are the ones who "throw the manual away" rather than following it.
- For most of his life, all he wanted to do was run; was an All-American track star, got a full scholarship to run in college.
- While in college, the president of the Black Student Union (BSU) saw something in Jeff, invited him to join.
- His track coach discouraged him from spending so much time with the BSU, so Jeff quit the team.
- His father told him he was a "quitter," told him that he wouldn't be financially supporting him anymore.
- A year later, after Jeff became president of the BSU, he invited his father to see his work; his dad apologized for not supporting his decision.
- Says his father's apology was "validation" because he wasn't living his dad's life, he was living his own life.
- Thinks too many young people give up their calling to satisfy the obligations they feel they owe their parents or their peers.