Jeannie's Open Road
Rush University Medical Center
Make up your mind that you won't be deterred.
- Has always been a people person who likes to talk, investigate, and engage.
- Education was always important; when other kids were outside playing, she was inside studying.
- Was interested in science and architecture from a young age.
- Didn't pursue architecture because at that time black women were not encouraged toward those areas.
- Went into nursing at the encouragement of her parents and developed a passion for it over time.
- Became interested in mental health once she started working and saw the patients.
- Had some negative people in her life who didn't want her to succeed, but left them behind.
- Make up your mind that you won't be deterred, she says, then go out and do it.