Jeannie's Open Road
A Passion That Motivates (1:23)
Something That You're Happy Doing (0:45)
Strategic Planning (0:33)
Oak Park, IL
Rush University Medical Center
architecture, children, college, dissatisfaction, education, family, friends, future, health, medicine, mental illness, motivation, nursing, parents, science, stereotype, success, support, teacher, tuition
- Has always been a people person who likes to talk, investigate, and engage.
- Education was always important; when other kids were outside playing, she was inside studying.
- Was interested in science and architecture from a young age.
- Didn't pursue architecture because at that time black women were not encouraged toward those areas.
- Went into nursing at the encouragement of her parents and developed a passion for it over time.
- Became interested in mental health once she started working and saw the patients.
- Had some negative people in her life who didn't want her to succeed, but left them behind.
- Make up your mind that you won't be deterred, she says, then go out and do it.