Jakob's Open Road
Treks and Tracks
A lot of times people will feel like, 'I really want to do this but I can't because I don't have the money.' And that can be very valid. At the same time, there are ways to plan. I've literally put spreadsheets together for a dream.
- When he was 18, he was really getting "the itch" for nature.
- Recruited his brother and a friend to go backpacking in the winter in Washington; "we did everything wrong."
- On that first trip, he says, "We got really, really wet, really, really cold, really, really tired, but something woke up in us."
- Started traveling the world; says they weren't just going through the motions of an adventure, they were doing what it took to survive along the way.
- Got nervous about not having a "real job" so he conformed, got a job that he hated for a while.
- Made a mock-up business called "Treks and Tracks" on the side for fun; suddenly, people were signing up for his hikes.
- Was caught off-guard by first sign-ups, had to hand those clients off to another friend, but now he knew people were interested.
- Says guiding is his new passion; says it's taught him that some fears are valid, but most can be overcome through planning.