Ian's Open Road
We Chose Fun (0:44)
Intellectually Honest (0:46)
Anticipating Challenges (1:05)
Confidence in Your Abilities (0:54)
Overlapping of Skills (0:26)
Co-founder / Chief Technology Officer
building things, choice, coding, combining interests, computer science, decisions, electrical engineering, excitement, fun, ideas, interest, learning, math, paths, possibilities, quitting, robotics, space, trying new things, web design
- Since he was a child, he always liked to take things apart, especially electronics, like cameras.
- Majored in electrical engineering and computer science in college.
- One day, he went to a career fair at his school and found that every job there sounded boring to him.
- He decided that instead, he’d start his own company, and started a business doing custom web designs.
- Worked at a robotics company part-time; one night, while playing with his iPhone, he realized that the robots he was working with should be able to be controlled by smartphones.
- He became fixated on the idea, and started neglecting his web design business to prototype Sphero and apply to tech competitions.
- He and his co-founder Adam Wilson came up with hundreds of ideas for robotics that could be controlled by smartphone, but ultimately, they chose to produce the Sphero robot.
- Says that the most important thing about running a company is to not get too caught up in things; when he starts to feel stressed, he likes to get out of the office and exercise.