Holly's Open Road
Palos Verdes, CA
Other: Roadtrip Nation Action Sports | FuelTV
International Womens Surfing
contest, escape, horses, old fashion, rebel, rebellion, respect, school, surfing, tradition
- Grew up horseback riding and dancing because her mom was "super old-fashioned"; Holly, in contrast, was a "super tomboy."
- Learned to boogie board; at age 12, wanted to start surfing but her mom discouraged her.
- Her mom told her she'd never "get a boyfriend" if she was out there competing against all of the boys.
- Says she never wanted to be "one of a million girls on the beach," she wanted to be out there competing.
- Whether she's out surfing or in competitions, she says she does sometimes takes heat for competing against the boys.
- In high school, beat five or six of her male classmates in a competition; they retaliated by throwing water balloons at her.
- When she was young, says surfing was a way she "defined herself" as a separate entity from what her mother wanted her to be.
- Says, "enjoy every moment; in 20 years you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did."