Heather's Open Road
Day Job Orthodontics (1:40)
From Size 16 to 8 (0:50)
Setting Goals (1:17)
Poor, Lazy Overachievers
Public Television: Season 7
Roller Derby Girl/Dental Assistant
falling, frankendoll, getting in shape, orthodontist, push yourself, pushing yourself, roller derby, roller skating, time, wftda
- Had only seen roller derby on TV in the '80s.
- Remembered it as "girls on skates who hit people," which sounded exciting.
- Joined the Dominion Derby Girls, Virginia's first all-female flat track roller derby league.
- When she first started skating, she'd never played sports, she hadn't worked out in years.
- At first, she was out of breath, struggling, but she pushed herself because she knew her team was depending on her.
- Says she was originally afraid to fall; had her first big wipeout, realized she was fine, and after that, she had no fear.
- Says she'd never be happy behind a desk crunching numbers-loves her orthodontic job because of how much it helps kids.
- When she's training new girls, she tells them "set a goal for yourself every practice," work on one skill at a time.