Glynn's Open Road
Living Outside Your Comfort Zone (1:07)
Japan Story (1:00)
Nice Try Mark (1:00)
Never let yourself get comfortable, even after you've had some success. Or should I say, especially after you've found some success.
- After school, he went to live in rural Japan for a year; calls it the most transformative experience of his life.
- While in Japan, he seized every opportunity offered to him; he did some performing, acting, writing.
- One helpful Japanese woman offered to teach him the Japanese tea ceremony; over the course of the year, he became close with her.
- This was the spark behind Snap Judgement-he realized he could expand his own worldview by examining the stories, lives of others.
- When he came back to the U.S., he entered an American Idol-type contest to become the next public radio host.
- Was invited to make a radio show pilot; did the best he could, but the contest judges called the attempt "embarrassing."
- Kept putting in the effort, fixed up the show-says he'd found a project that felt right, like one of the darts he'd thrown had "hit its target."
- Says everyone has to make a living, but it's "essential" to keep your artistic fire lit by carving out an hour or two each day to hone your creative outlet.