Gene's Open Road
Nothing Is Forever (0:36)
New Orleans, LA
Public Television: Season 2
The great advantage that you have at your age is that nothing is forever. You can change as many times as you want. You should never lose sight of the fact that you can turn back.
advantage, Berlin wall, change, draft, restaurants, war, you can turn back
- Says that at age 21, he was constantly thinking, “What am I gonna do with the rest of my life?”
- Wishes he hadn’t spent so much time trying to make up his mind then; “I had potentially 60 years to deal with things as they came along.”
- Was drafted into the military, spent two years in the south of France, Paris, where he “really learned to eat.”
- Returned to U.S., went to work as an editor at a local newspaper, but quickly got tired of the desk job.
- Went to quit but his boss offered him another option: he could try out for a recently-vacated restaurant critic spot.
- Suddenly found himself going to work early, hungry for his next assignment; had found writing was both a talent and a passion.
- Says you should be confident that your career corresponds with your unique talents.
- Knows people with great intellect, solid educations, who work as furniture makers or chefs, because that makes them proudest, happiest.