Gary's Open Road
Out Of The Blue (1:10)
Lead By Your Passion (0:34)
Something Magical About It (0:38)
Not About The Answers (0:24)
San Francisco, CA
Public Television: Season 1
analyzing, curiosity, falling in love, film school, intriguing, Lucasfilm, parents, questions, sound design, support, USC
- Went to USC's film school, where it seemed like "everyone wants to make a movie," but for him, sound work held all the magic.
- Says he loves that he can take a "flat, distant" film and bring it to life by adding just the right sound.
- Had support from parents and peers "at least to his face," but at the same time, everyone told him he'd never get a job.
- Was too afraid to try to find a job after his undergraduate studies, so went to grad school and kept studying the same major.
- One of his professors had George Lucas as a student, set him up with a job at Lucasfilm.
- Says "that's the kind of thing that happens all the time," you can't plan, you just get a chance opportunity and you take it.
- Thinks it's better to be led by passion rather than getting too analytical about what you're "good at."
- Says your passion will be the thing that you have endless questions about: "if you're curious, you're probably passionate. It's like falling love."