Gary's Open Road
Don't Need Much To Live (0:17)
From Biology to Geology (0:25)
Doing My Own Thing (0:30)
Bit By The Bug (0:15)
If you really don't know where you're headed, don't get yourself locked into something you can't get out of.
- The first book he'd ever read was Our Everest Adventure, "not a kids' book at all" but he got "majorly bit by the bug."
- Went to Rice University, changed majors from biology to geology, knew he didn't want to earn a living in either; climbing was his true passion.
- Dropped out of grad school after three years; his parents didn't understand why he didn't just finish the major as "back-up."
- Moved to Boulder, Colorado to work at a mountaineering store, focus on climbing.
- While he was working at this store for a few years, he noticed the business climate was getting better.
- He grabbed his friend, who knew about boot repair, scraped together some money, goods, and opened his own shop.
- Owning his own business gave him the freedom to climb as much as he wanted; was able to climb Mt. Everest in 1990.
- Says his goal was never to make money; he knows people making good money who are stuck in their jobs, unable to take time off, completely unhappy.